20 November 2010

A second visit to Operation Shanthi

Today is pretty much a day I’ve been looking forward to since my last visit in 2009. This year, we had got Joanne whose pretty much already getting involved in the operations. With an appointed auto-rickshaw driver, we started the bumpy ride to the orphanage. The area is out of the city, a breath-taking sights--- fluffy clouds spreading across the vast blue sky and cattle grazing around the greens.



Entering the gate, I saw two familiar faces--- Lalitha and Stratha. The two small girls, who have no school today, ran towards the gate and greeted us happily. Stratha, who came to me and slipped her little hand into mine, looking up brightly and said, “you adeline? I remember your face…do A B C painting?”  I was totally surprised.

She gave me a thug at my hand and said, “Madam, sitting.” Signaling me to lower myself, and I squatted. The two girls then went behind me and began playing with my hair; some whispering and giggling which I don’t really understand.
This is what i got at the end of the day. Small flowers to decor, super!
Followed Joanne and Shirly to pick up the kids from school--- a 20 minutes’ walk.  It was interesting; pretty much like mother hens trying to get the chicks to the nest. Jyothi was on my left and she’d never stop singing and shouting for the next 20 minutes of walk back home.
The older kids reached later back to the house. They called me the-stretch yoga madam or ABCD madam. And we started playing leg-splits and probably nearly tearing their pants. 5pm, some teachers came in and it’s time for tuition!
Again, from Stretha," You coming tomorrow?". She pulled each of us down to a squat and gave us a good-bye kiss on our cheeks. Sweet.
There are many in the name of NGOs (non-government organization) both in Bangalore and Mysore; which I know of at the moment. However, whether how the funds are used among the needs and the management is always a question to many.
It’s probably good to actually understand the set-up of the NGO that we intend to give a helping hand to; and know that the assistance from the public are going to improve the lives of the needy group as much as it can stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment