31 October 2013

A short note for my students.

Sometimes, i can't even believe it for the thought that suggest of dropping my practice. After few years of practice, the body soreness still hit me very regularly---

Yes, to my dearest students who thought that i'm a wonder woman, i do sweat through stiffness of a morning body, gasping for life in back bends, maybe some days of not able to bend over the sink to wash my face comfortably and rolling over the bed with whole body of aches.

I feel you.

I understand the thought of stretching the hamstrings can send a shiver down your spine. The idea of doing a backbend can sometimes feels like a suicidal.


But, eventually, we still get through the walls of fear and doubts. Somehow, the next breath we took after all those struggles... we felt more alive.

All those imagination of " i'm not going to handle.." was actually non- existence.

For dearest students who just step into the practice, please be patient for progression;
and please be very brave to handle the upcoming issues. 

I'd started out my yoga practice just like you do.

Yoga is anything, but an escape from your problems. Instead, it guide us to lean towards them, and walk through them-- and we become stronger. 

If any of your thought appear like this:
" I want yoga to help my back pain, but i don't want to work my back because its too painful."

Think again if it make sense, because it sounded like this actually:
" I want to wash my muddy shoes, but i don't want to handle the mud."

Just like you, there are times i wanted to drop the challenging practice and choose an easier options. But i never did entertain the thoughts for more than a minute.

The reason is simple to me: If we can't take responsible for our own problems and issues, not only we will suffer, the people around us will get affected too.
Think about your family member, do you want them to worry? The answer is "no" for me. How about you?

Whatever we do, there's ripple effect. And we definitely have the intelligence to make a choice, what type of ripple do you want to create?

I laughed during our time in the class... not because i enjoy watching how much pain you're going through in a forward bend--- because i saw myself through each of you. Its like watching a flashback when i was too falling all over the floor.

Students, don't be afraid of the challenging that will and shall be running towards you--- you are not alone. 
No worries, i'll not make you fall, and i mean it. If you fall over, its part of the plan.

Give yourself one step, one month, one year... at a time. Be patient, and you'll get there:)


The very fact that, we either live with all these self- created problems, which it'll keep growing in years.
Or we start to dig them out and clean it off while its still manageable. 

Either we catch them, or they'll imprison us.
We can't run away, anyway. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment