18 December 2013

Don't, exploit your student.

A second chance to experience Hongkong....
I didn't have good impressions about this city, let alone great. It was the summer, we were mind-jammed with information attending the yoga conference.. out on the street to get back to the hotel was a torture. 

It was so stimulating, too.. and i could suddenly shut down when i got onto bed. and for that one week, i operated like a robot. 

2 years later, i got an opportunity to give myself a second chance to experience this bustling city in winter, with a more open mind of different perspectives. It turns out pretty well till now!

Finally i got my daily dose of practice after shopping through the rainy cold moon day!
And this morning practice ( at a beautiful homely shala at Wan Chai), i felt the sun burning inside me, and i think i was the only one looked pathetically sweaty, even with the least amount of fabric covered.

You never get too wrong meeting another community of yoga folks!

Its so interesting i realized that the first thing i would google on my travel plan, is to search for a Yoga Shala. And then, my accommodation and the rest of the itinerary will fall into place.

So, as i travel and practice in different shalas, not only as a pure student.. sometimes i do observe the teacher relationship with the students in the class. I learnt on a reflective basis.

The focus of the practice from a teacher, has a direct influence on the students. And it reminded me to be very careful not to exploit the students base on my " favoritism" of certain aspect of the practice.
Say, i love back bending posture, though it always scared the sh*it out of me...

For that so many benefits and good feelings, i wanted my students to reap those too ( too because that many working people has got really bad hunch on the back)... And i put my focus more on back bending.

After some period as i mature in the role of teacher, i learn not to tag my opinion on the students;
and rather take each student as a organic individual; provide them with information at the level of practice they are at... so that they can digest--- and then feed them bit by bit.

Its like taking care of a baby, we don't throw them a whole bun and let them handle... they will choke.
We give them small tiny pieces, bit by bit... and slowly when they are strong enough to handle more, we let them be on their own independently.

The sky is clear and the sun is out today,... maybe because i did my practice today!






No comments:

Post a Comment