14 February 2011

Because you are my valentine...

Mum is very particular about salt and sugar intake in all our meals; strictly no sugar in any of her dishes and always stand by natural taste of sweetness from the ingredients. I used to think there's not big deal with the intake of salt and sugar, not anymore.

One of my relative we visited during the festive was diagnosed for diabetes and kidney failure. The fact the  she could still walk out of the room and talked to us was all history. We went into her room, i sat down beside her bed; she was sitted with a back supporter. Looking frail, she gave us a little smile.

Both feet were badaged, and she told me very direct that her nails had started dropping off and rotting. She complained that the arthrities in her knee and finger joints has been torturous. Most time, woken up by the overwhelming discomforts, with 2 hours of sleep daily. I held her hands, wrinkled soft skin over stiff hard bone. I looked into her eyes and felt a sudden crunch in my chest.

I may not understand how much she's going through, but i'm fully aware of what causes it. As much as my ability allows me, i'll nag on the important of daily diets to my beloved ones. Not because i'm afraid them becoming a burden to me, rather not wanting them to become a burden to themselves.
There are things we voice out, becase we care; becuase they are our valentines.

A single conversation can change our life. And that's why it's so important to who we are connecting with. There are so many things we has yet to understand, but don't misunderstand.

No comments:

Post a Comment