15 May 2014

Ashtanga--- masculine or feminine?

My first thought of the Ashtanga method was very masculine, i used to attempt those challenging poses with brute force--- i was not exactly right.

As i am sticking to it, i slowly realized that it is very much a feminine- supported practice. Instead of fighting to mould myself into the pose; i started to soften all resistance so i can breathe into the pose, more comfortably and deeply.

On my personal experience, the incorporation of partnership from both masculine ( demand of strength and endurance) & feminine ( the full support of breath manipulation & softness) comes slowly through regular practice ( daily).

On one side i can be really impatient with the progression ( masculine), on the other hand i do constantly remind myself to respect what my body condition has to offer and release any expectation ( feminine).
Before, I've tried exploiting my body in order to fit into my ideal practice--- i injured myself. Till then, i learnt to be compassionate to myself and allowing the wound to heal and recover properly.

Just like in any relationship, the balance of the yin & yang within, around and with others--- it takes a great deal of time and effort to straddle towards a more balance and harmonious circle.

I like how Sharath always described the practice of Ashtanga as to climbing Mount Everest-- how those  challenges line ahead of us makes the practice more fun; which applies to our life too:)

"if everything comes easy, there will be no fun"

While those difficulties can ignite the fighting spirit within us; we too need to learn to surf smoothly on the creative energy of breaths--- and enjoy the waves of fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment