12 October 2011

The Pandora Box revealed...


 “Shirly once told me that Curiosity killed the cat. You know, sometimes I just can't help it.”

For so many months, every time when the cab drives through Cairnhill and passing by Emerald hill; the group of old houses never fails to catch my attention. I would fix my gazed till the very last glimpse of the exterior of the last house. 
Walls are stained, the pastel colors on those cylindrical window grills are peeling off. Sometimes, I even managed to peep into the blurry glass window--- an old ceiling fan.

Each time, I wondered, “who’s staying inside? How does the interior look like? What is inside? What are the stories behind all these units? …they look kind of cozy. 
Maybe one day I would want to stay here, I chuckled. ”

And you know what?!

After a hasty conversation over a phone, a lady booked an appointment with me. And today, the cab did not drive pass, but dropped me by my eye-candy.  The door front was quite unwelcoming--- huge closed dark-brown door, curtain drawn, the only décor is probably the pathetic little doorbell button.

The neighboring units are in traditional Peranakan , and olden Chinese ( red lanterns) style.  The door must be quite heavy I noticed when my client pull the door opened. 

However uninviting the exterior may appear to be, the interior is filled with warmth. Though it’s really spacious and with little furniture, it has got great vibes with a pure sense of tranquility basing in the house.  Yup, I had a delicious time satisfying my long-time hunger of curiosity.

I like old houses and shop houses--- that withstand through the toughness of time and activities. I said these are houses with characters. That they have got sheaths of history that shines with charisma in their own little way.

" Satisfaction brought it back"

No comments:

Post a Comment