15 June 2011

Entrée: In the world of visions...

When was the last time you look at something or someone so intensely?

Dristhi, means gaze or insight--- is one of the essential tool emphasised in yoga practices. Different teachers approach this practice a little differently, but carrying with the same concept. Whether your gaze comes before or after the entry of a pose, no debates about it--- as long as it is one of the ingredient of the practice.

Dristhi did not come to me a "wow" back then and even now. When assumed in a Triangle pose, the teacher would add on, " gaze at your thumb". I thought it was just a casual top-up to make the pose look more comprehensive. While waiting for the 10 breaths, i counted the number of light bulbs on the studio ceiling, then counted the number of air-conditions in the room within my gaze.

As this particular practice goes for couple of years, i realise that--- hey, i can actually gaze inwards too!

Tired of taking stock of the light bulbs, i have a checklist for myself: hip squared?.... checked. Shoulders back and down.?.... checked. Chest opened?... checked. Knees right above ankle?...checked.
And this kept me busy enough till the last bit of breath.
Slowly, i checked the list faster than before, that my internal gaze moved so swiftly, for a little more time to observe my breathing and ease on the pose for a little while.

Dhristi is very shy, it does not bomb right at your face, shouts and waves vigorously, " hey! i am here! use me..!" It creeps in, holds your hand softly and tours you around outside and eventually brings you back home. Whispering in your ears, " hey, you're home. That's all you need to be."

Dristhi, is intangible. something that i can't hand over to you and say, " here, enjoy the gaze, and return to me later." nope.
Every time the story changes, because the scenery changes. And drishthi bore me right into my core, peeling the outer layer one by one until it leads me into the seed.

Its a very expanded experience, and yes... I'll follow on with more posts and aspect that how dristhi has make my learning journey more colourful:)

No comments:

Post a Comment