30 September 2010

Say a little prayer

For so many years, I've thought that prayers can be done only in holy places; temples, churches... that's not quite all actually.
My mum used to instruct me to say my prayer aloud while kneeling in front of a divine statue. " today's is...my name is Adeline... i live in....my school is.... please let me have good grades..." She's still doing her usual temple visits but I've not. I felt so uncomfortable having to speak out so loud, where the person besides me probably knew that I'm desperate for good results.
I used to tell me mum that the Lord is in my heart, i can pray to myself anytime; just to save myself from further embarrassment.

During these years, I've realised that i like to have my prayer done in silence. Its a very private conversation between myself and the divine. No word can express my prayers accurately; because i don't speak them, i feel them. Prayers are truth that stays unspoken.

Prayers can be done not only in holy places; it can happen anywhere, anytime. I usually like to have mine before i end and start my day. Praying is a form of gratitude for who we are; its a way to experience contentment for what we're going through. Be it rough patches or smooth sailing journey.

Prayers do not give hopes. Praying does not involve demanding and asking for something from the divine in exchange of some offerings and donations. Prayers are silent words, that speaks not from the mouth but in the heart. Whether it works or not, it doesn't matter. Prayers happens when it comes without any hopes and expectation.

I started looking for an accommodation since July for my trip to India in October. The responses was pretty slow, maybe because its INDIA i thought. I saw this place which i rejected it initially, with regrets. So i did my little prayers for the past 2 months. Though i was still considering other offers, deep down inside, i can't deny i hope the person will contact me with some good news.

Still, i say my prayers dutifully every day and night. Just 3 weeks before my trip, the person offered me a space; the place which I've been eyeing on...whaahoo!
With gratitude.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment