16 February 2012

Teachers from memories. Lessons forever.

Just few days after my previous post on " One Guru. Many Teachers.", i received a notice " Sec 4G Siglap Sec 2003 to be part of the group--- later to know that one of our classmates is trying to gather everyone back as a class.... after a good 9 years; all thanks to Facebook!

Here, i would like to share how my high school teachers made drastic changes in my life, seriously.
I love to go to school, but not studying. I like to be with my friends, just attending classes and long hours of band practices till late. School is a playground:)

Mrs Rajan, is one teacher that i can never ever forget, never! Her name is widely spread in the school, still i guess. Just to mention her name would probably send shiver down the spine to some of my classmates.

Our form- teacher and English teacher; and that explains for her incredibly sharp tongue--- never fail to handle all those talk- backs from the naughty ones. Loud, clear and sharp voice... that would screech right to the back of the class.
I like her scrutinizing and explaining each sentence and difficult words in great detail; and making us crack our own brain.
Crime: Incomplete homework
Punishment options: Star jumps, duck-walking, no- recess break, staying back after class.
She taught me DISCIPLINE & FOCUS.
" I tell youuuuu!"
Miss Doris Yong, another teacher that left a very deep impression in me. My first impression was that, her name and her actual person---- mismatch! 
Super fierce, she would march down the corridor like a commando, enter the class and put down those big stacks of books on the table with a " BooM!". 

And to know that, Miss Yong and Mrs Rajan were sitting next to each other in the office--- partners in crime, am just kidding!
Miss Yong teaches Maths, and she teaches very well. I was very poor in maths, and i am still... been having a hard time coping with the formulas and numbers. I thought, would there ever be somebody who could save me from those muddy brain of mine-- yes, Miss Yong:)

She would stay till late evening with us for night- study; her strictness and patience made me work harder. 
Ah! she recommended Red Bull during exams time ( i didn't try that though). I told myself that i must Must MUST score well for Maths, just for her ( and i did!).

She showed me how to confront my fear for numbers with enjoyment of solving problems. 
Crime: Incomplete homework, absent-mindedness
Punishment: Ear Flicking Treatment exclusively by Doris Yong ( that was really painful!--- 1st you feel the numbness, 2nd the pain, 3rd the tingling effect stays on....)
She taught me PATIENCE & PRACTICE.
I soon to realize that i prefer fierce and strict teachers; because i am lazy, ha! 
Their strictness reflects their pride for what they are doing; and i salute to this attitude. 
Once a person told me this: A nice teacher may not be good, a good teacher may not be nice. 
I prefer the latter. 
Don't mind all those rough patches, tripped & fallen over hurdles, punishments and hard lessons... so long that i learnt and grow, under a good intention. 

" No pressure, no diamonds"
~ Thomas Carlyle









No comments:

Post a Comment